There are so many high quality frozen uncooked mince products that can be bought straight from the supermarket and used to prepare delicious meals, cutting both food waste and household bills.
All of our tips are for using mince, commercially frozen – this is uncooked mince that has been frozen by the manufacturer, ensuring it is of the highest quality and can be safely cooked from frozen.
Mince can be defrosted in the fridge or in the microwave, but should not be defrosted at room temperature as this is where bacteria can multiply rapidly.
Defrosted mince should not be re-frozen unless it has been thoroughly cooked through.
Defrosting mince in the fridge
- The temperature of the refrigerator should be kept at 5°C or below, as anything above this may allow the multiplication of bacteria.
- Keep mince in its packaging where possible
- Place on a plate at the bottom of the fridge to catch drips when thawing, keeping away from ready-to-eat foods
- Leave until fully defrosted
Defrosting mince in the microwave
- Check your microwave’s instructions as some appliances have different settings
- Use the instructions on the product packaging for accurate results
- Place the mince on a microwave-safe plate
- Microwave on the defrost setting in two minute intervals until fully defrosted